Rotunda (Church of St. George) Thessaloniki
The building of the Rotunda in Thessaloniki is one of the Galerian of buildings, as well as the Arch, the Palace and the Octagon. It was built by Galerius around 300 AD and intended to become his mausoleum and at the end of the 4th century was converted into a Christian church. From 1590 until the liberation of the city (1912) it was operating as a mosque and after the 1978 earthquake it converted into a museum. It is a domed circular building with a diameter of 24 meters and with 8 large rectangular niches inside. It hosts works of art and temporary exhibitions, while there are some rare mosaics and frescoes.
Panagia Chalkeon Thessaloniki
The Church of Panagia Chalkeon is located in the heart of Historic center of the city between Aristotelous Square and the Roman Forum.
Built in 1028 AD., this church exemplifies a cruciform church cupola having four columns and three domes of which the one is central. Its characteristics are those from so-called “Macedonian Period” of Byzantine architecture and are found in a number of religious sites in various parts of the city. The interior of the church has beautiful frescoes and is decorated with carved marbles, while the marble cornice of the temple, which is framed by a decorative band of colored clay tiles, is also impressive. During the Ottoman Period it was converted into a mosque (1430) as many other religious sites in the city of Thessaloniki. The name is due to the existence of Chalkeftikis Lodge and coppersmiths.
Church of Agia Sofia Thessaloniki
This is a five-aisled basilica, which is one of the most important Byzantine monuments of Thessaloniki. It is estimated that it was built by the prefect Leontio around 412 AD but a large fire led to the re-construction of the church between 628 and 634 AD . According to tradition, the church was founded by the Roman bath where Agios Dimitrios martyred. Indeed, from this point myrrh was gushing and it was claimed to have healing effects. Over the centuries the church has suffered several disasters from raids and looting, while the fires left indelible marks until today. For example, in 1917 the great fire that hit 2/3 of the city largely destroyed the temple which was restored and reopened in 1949. The current form of the church was the result of additional work completed in 1958. In the church there are mosaics and frescoes dating from the 8th century and depicting the emperors Justinian and Kantakouzenos VI and the archbishop of Thessalonica Gregory Palamas. Moreover, the crypt of the church operates as an exhibition space for various sculptures and other objects.
Church of Agios Dimitrios Thessaloniki
This is one of the most important temples of the city that was built in the 7th century and took the place of a vast Early Christian basilica, which was destroyed by an earthquake in 620. It was the cathedral church of the city throughout the Byzantine period, was converted to Roman Catholicism during the Frankish and finally became a mosque from 1523 to 1912. In the inside there are preserved mosaics from the period of iconoclasm, which adorn the dome. Also, the visitors can admire frescoes of the 11th century and observe the sculptures adorning the columns capitals and the pulpit.