White Tower Thessaloniki
The White Tower in Thessaloniki is the best known symbol of the city and one of the most recognizable monuments in Greece. It was built as a fortified tower in the 15th century and later it was used as a military camp and prison. The last restoration was completed in 1985 and since then the White Tower used for exhibitions, while from 2006 operates permanently as a Museum of the city. The White Tower is 34 meters tall and has six floors, with an internal staircase that is in contact with the outside wall. The entire construction was part of the town fortification, which started from the eastern part in Upper City and ended at the White Tower and its marine section, which was demolished in 1867.
Galerius Arch (Kamara) Thessaloniki
The triumphal Arch of Galerius is the monument known as Kamara and it is located on the north side of the Egnatia highway, in a short distance from the Rotunda. It was built in the 4th century AD in honor of the Roman Emperor Galerius who returned victorious to the city after wars against the Persians. Nowadays two main pillars and a secondary one are saved, which have embossed marble slabs depicting war scenes. The central arched opening has a width of 9.7 meters and a height of 12.5 meters, and under that there was the Via Regia, as it was called in Roman Egnatia Street. Indeed, until 1953 under the arch there was the line of the Via Egnatia tram. Until today many efforts are made for the monument conservation and it is a known meeting place.
Statue of Alexander the Great Thessaloniki
The statue “symbol” of Alexander the Great riding Bucephalus, is located in seaside of Thessaloniki, next to another symbol of the city, the White Tower. It was erected in 1973 and is the work of sculptor Evangelos Moustakas.
Courts Square (Ancient Agora) Thessaloniki
It is perhaps the most central square of the city, located in the ancient Roman agora.There you can find the steam room, the Virgin Chalkeon, the circus ‘Apollo’ and the statue of Eleftherios Venizelos. It is often a place for various events and protests.
Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki was designed by famous modernist architect Patroklos Karantinos and was inaugurated in 1962. It contains all the important findings of Thessaloniki and the wider region of Macedonia, from prehistoric, Neolithic, Classical, Hellenistic and Roman times. The museum was recently renovated, with impressive multimedia applications, maps and descriptions of objects and history.