Thessaloniki’s airport “Macedonia” is located in the Municipality of Thermi in Thessaloniki Peripheral unit and within fifteen (15) kilometers southeast from the city of Thessaloniki. The site of the current airport was used as “Air Field” in 1917 under the name “great little first.” From 1919 to 1931 (and beyond), it was used as an auxiliary airport of the large military airport of Sedes. In 1938 the construction of civil airport in Great Micra began, which was called “Civil AIRPORT Thessaloniki”. In 1956 the Greek air transport was undertaken by ” OLYMPIC AIRWAYS ‘Aristotle Onassis, which was granted with the exclusive privilege and exploitation of the country’s aviation. In 1993 she was renamed and became Thessaloniki International Airport “Macedonia”, taking its name from the historic geographical region of Macedonia. In 2008 the airport “Macedonia” was the third busiest airport in Greece. Today Thessaloniki airport serves local and international flights to European countries, acting as a passenger and cargo terminal with 14 aircraft stands of all sizes. In Thessaloniki airport are also housed squadrons of the Air Force and the Air Club of Thessaloniki.
The port of Thessaloniki is located in the innermost point of Thermaikos Gulf, the northern part of the eastern Mediterranean, to the west of Thessaloniki city center and within one (1) kilometer from the Train Station and sixteen (16) kilometers from the Thessaloniki’s Airport “Macedonia”.
It is the most important port of Macedonia and one of the major ports of southeastern Europe. Due to its advantageous geographical position and its excellent road and rail connections, it is the largest transshipment port in the country. It has also facilities for handling liquid fuels and it’s connected to the cross-border stations pipeline. It is also close to the international natural gas pipeline. Part of the port is also the Free Zone of the port of Thessaloniki, which operates in accordance with the Community Customs Code since 1995. Moreover, it has dense road network, which is directly linked to the national and international road network, and all the quays of the port have a double / triple rail lines and are connected to the national and international railway network.
Thessaloniki’s port was founded in 315/6 BC by King Cassander of Macedonia and was an important shipping center throughout the period of the Macedonian Empire. During the Roman Empire, the port of Thessaloniki became a large marine transportation center. Its strategic location and its connections have made Thessaloniki port one of the most important ports of the Roman Empire with significant traffic throughout its duration. During the Byzantine Empire, Thessaloniki’s port grew even more and was the main port of the region. During the Ottoman period, the Thessaloniki’s port was linked to regular shipping services to all major ports in the Mediterranean, making it one of the first ports of the East. In 1870 the seaside wall of the city was demolished and in 1876 the waterfront of today’s old beach was constructed.
The modern history of the port begins the last decade of the 19th century with the expansion of the waterfront of Thessaloniki to the sea and the creation of part of the east side, the current first pier. By the end of the Balkan Wars (1913) and the determination of the borders of Balkan states, the port of Thessaloniki, which was serving a large area of the Balkan peninsula, limited the hinterland of the Greek territory. In 1914 the Free Zone of the port of Thessaloniki was founded by the Greek Government.
During the Second World War Thessaloniki’s Port was occupied by the German army (1941-1944) and because of the continuous bombardment by the English and American Airlines as well as the blowing of the remaining installations by the Germans during their withdrawal, all the port facilities were almost destroyed.
Since the end of World War II and until today the port of Thessaloniki, is constantly expanding westward, with the restoration of the installations and with the construction of new docks, warehouses, roads and railway lines.
In the 1990s the environmental area is upgraded and at the same time the storage capacity of the port of Thessaloniki is significantly increased. A direct road is also constructed, which is connecting the port to the national road network of the country. Nowadays, Thessaloniki’s port is characterized as Port of International Interest in the Harbour System of the country and is one of the five Greek ports, which belongs to the Central Network of transport.
Thessaloniki Train Station
Thessaloniki Train Station is the main passenger station of the city for all trains and the starting point of most city buses. The entrance to the station is the Monastery Road and the Margaropoulou Street. It has seven platforms and in the station there are commercial stores. It was inaugurated in 1961, although its construction began in 1937. During the Second World War all construction work stopped and resumed in 1951.The old Thessaloniki Train / Railway Station is located near the port in the Old Station Road (new west entrance) and is used as a cargo terminal.
Thessaloniki Bus Station
Thessaloniki Bus Station “Macedonia” is located west and within five (5) kilometers from the center of Thessaloniki. It is easily accessible through the center, but also through the new western city node which is directly connected to the ring road of Thessaloniki. The space where Thessaloniki’s Bus Station was constructed helps the speed of the routes to each destination point, as well as the arrivals to the city.
This is a modern luxury Bus Terminal, with European standards, which is an ornament for the city of Thessaloniki. In Thessaloniki’s Central Bus Station “Makedonia” are housed 41 suburban bus stations. The passenger service station consists of two main buildings, underground parking and auxiliary facilities of gas station.